Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Injectors oh injectors.....


Pic 1:
Injectors galore!!!

Injectors are what feeds the engine with fuel. I've had in many instances just sat there thinking to myself do I really need bigger cc injectors for my ER34 project. I have a general idea of what I want to do with the RB25DET but the injectors are something I can't really decide and put my finger on.


The stock ER34 injectors have a volumetric flow rate of 370cc/min. That would means that it will flow fuel at 35.2lb/hour.

Assuming if one targets 420bhp out of the engine, looking at 0.5 Brake Specific Fuel Consumption (BSFC) and a maximum injector duty cycle of 98%, one would require injectors that flows 35.7lb/hr or 375cc/min.

That means that the stock injectors will only support 420bhp up to a safe level. Running 100% injector duty cycle is of course possible but will only support minute bhp gain, thus it would not be worth the risk.

Ideally I would love to have slightly bigger injectors to be on the safe side, perhaps a minimum of 440cc injectors whereby I can run at 90% injector duty cycle and it'll be extremely safe. OR I can go for even higher cc just in-case I struck Toto/4D and can splurge on the car. LOL :)

Btw, SARD only makes 650cc and 800cc
top feed high impedance injectors for the ER34. Just in-case, you know .... you got itchy hands like me.

10 comments:

  1. well maybe 410bhp would good for what injector you have now.. LoL

    but remember that when you upgrade your injector means you would have a new fuel pump as well ;)

    420bhp means it is about 300whp? what i got is all stock and it is producing about 300 to 310whp...

    so bro.. you need to get higher then that go for 480bhp LoL

    Sakakida

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sakakida, I have a SARD fuel pump lying around at home. :P

    Assuming a 20% drivetrain loss that would be about 340whp.

    480bhp? Whoa, I am not about to mess with the internals purely because I don't have the funds to do it. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. assuming u will not be running the full 420hp all the time. i think the stock injector will do the job just fine. my 2 sen la..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Zul, you're right mate. I reckon too. Unless higher bhp is desired that is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i thought it was 30% :) well decided which injector to use? i know you won't run away without touching the injector..

    sakakida

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking at the state of my piggy bank, looks like the injectors are one thing I had to pass. ECU is of a bigger priority. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. agree with you man, your hardware is only as good as your software.

    spending on the ECU will definitely give you a bigger bang for your dollar.

    i too have a set of 445cc injectors lying in the tuner's warehouse collecting dust, sigh :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, so colourful! Nice one. Btw EJ, u got fren driving NSX? Me driving one, maybe can share some knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
  9. CCC, time to wipe the dust off those injectors man. :)

    Steven, actually I do have a friend with a NSX. He got it new when it was launched. But unfortunately he just sold it a couple of months back. Got a good offer for it as it's practically like new. Hardly driven at all.

    Where are you located btw? E-mail me.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments on this post appreciated.

Related Posts with Thumbnails