Wednesday, November 26, 2008

New rubbers for the ER34 - Yokohama Advan AD07


My previous set of Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 has served me very well but after 18,000km of usage, it has begun to lose its grip. Almost wearing down to it's wear thread wear indicators, the ER34 now twitches its rear when throttling out of corners.

So what shall it be replaced with? I've looked at quite a number of tyres before deciding on the Yokohama Advan AD07. The tyres that I've seriously considered hard are:-

Bridgestone Potenza RE01R
Bridgestone Potenza RE050
Toyo Proxes T1R
Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetrics
Yokohama Advan Sport V103

I would love the Potenza RE01R but can't seem to find the sizes to fit the rear wheels of the ER34. There were none in Malaysia nor in Singapore. It had to be ordered in from Japan. And I bet the prices are going be astronomical too. Shucks!

The Potenza RE050 are too OE of a tyre choice. Too bad there aren't any RE050A Pole Position available here. :(

I felt that the Toyo Proxes T1-R are overrated for what they are. Sorry my Toyo friends out there. :P

After using the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3, I bet its new replacement, the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric would be stupendous. And stupendous it is in terms of pricing too. It's a couple of hundred Riggit more dearer than the Advan AD07.

My last choice before the Advan AD07 was the Yokohama Advan Sport V103, this tyre are claimed to be the extreme high performance tyres that are fitted to some high end vehicles like Bentleys, AMG Mercedes Benz and Audi S6 and S8. Amazingly, it can withstand speeds of over 300km/h (not that the ER34 will ever see those speeds).

So why Advan AD07 instead of the Advan Sport V103? Well, sizes are available where I am immediately whereas for the Advan Sport V103, it had to be transported from Yokohama's warehouse cross state. Furthermore, many reviews are raving about the Advan AD07s.

The Advan Neova AD07 is designed to provide high levels of traction (AA rating), responsive handling and driving control in dry and wet road conditions. Well actually a bit skeptical about its ability in the wet. Yikes....and I've something against driving in the rain!

Pic 1: Micro Silica (MS) tread compound: The combination of more, smaller-size silica particles and high-grip carbon creates massive traction in hot, dry conditions as well as cold, wet conditions

"The Advan Neova AD07 molds a "fine particle" Micro Silica (MS) tread compound (to provide greater road surface adhesion) into a directional tread pattern that features massive tread blocks with rounded edges to increase cornering stability and steering response while promoting more even wear. Five large circumferential and multiple directionally aligned lateral grooves resist hydroplaning and enhance wet traction. The tire's structure includes two wide steel belts reinforced by spirally wound nylon to provide strength and uniform ride quality and high-speed capability while the sidewalls are tuned to resist lateral deflection providing handling control and cornering stability."

With a thread wear of a mere 180, I have a feeling that this set of new rubbers won't last too long. I hope I am wrong though. I really hope that I've made the right choice with these quasi semi-slicks. I've just collected the tyres today. It will in no way be able to fit in to the ER34 thus I had to squeeze 'em all into a Hyundai Coupe (GK). Errr....maybe some of you may be wondering what is my unusual pre-occupation with the Hyundai Coupe by now. LOL :D

I've yet to fit them into the ER34 though. It's still stuck inside the Hyundai Coupe as I post this. Maybe I'll find time this weekend to get 'em rubbers onto the ER34.

Stay tuned. :)

Pic 2: Need a trolley to cart 'em into my car

Pic 3: Tough work but still managed to stuff 'em all into the Hyundai Coupe

Pic 4: Single block with groove at the egdes

Pic 5: Optimun groove position

Pic 6: Serrated groove walls

Pic 7: Rounded block design

Pic 8: Dimples

Pic 9: What's insde...

Pic 10: Tyre construction

18 comments:

  1. EJ,
    They just came out with AD08:
    http://tougeking.blogspot.com/2008/11/ad08-coming-soon.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. TK, yea I figured that the AD08 will be coming soon but that's ok. I got these at a pretty good price. :)

    Anyway, dunno by when will the AD08 reach here also and I bet prices will be sky high.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You really do ur homework man. Two thumbs and two big toes up to u!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeah... i know how to really choose my tires now... thanks EJ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wah bro, u can be a spokesman for Yokohama Tyres. Very informative and well promoted in your blog. Syabas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you go drift... Then Bye Bye AD07 :). Looking at some of your videos, seems that the style is quite grippy and safe :) (comparatively to TK la)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jason, if only Yokohama sponsors the tyres. I don't mind some decals on the ride. LOL :D

    Vince, yea I suck at drifting. More of a 'grip' driver. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. eujin as for AD07 you will have alot of fun during dry condition, but it will be quite slippy when its come wet. For my opion this is still the best tyre for this price range. I m coming to chanllage your ride very soon hehe

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bro, look like some EG dude gonna challenge u in the next DILYSI session. Good luck man

    ReplyDelete
  10. j-ER34, yeap thats what many people commented. Wet grip will be compromised. If you're looking for a race/competition, I'll pass. Thank you for the offer.

    ReplyDelete
  11. hey eujin is not j-ER34 la kaka, is j-E34 kaka you will have fun to play will little cat like me =P

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooops. j-E34 it is. Typo. :)
    I'm sure it'll be fun but thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  13. haha you are force to appect it =P wait for my call =P

    ReplyDelete
  14. YES BOSS!! you know me very well kaka...that why you are force to accept my challange =P

    ReplyDelete
  15. j-E34, I know who you are lioa. KNN!! You boost so high, I sure lose. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. mine still standard boost larrr, kaka i think i sure lose to you, dont forget that i m automatik kaka

    ReplyDelete

Your comments on this post appreciated.

Related Posts with Thumbnails